ONTARIO IGUANAS

MY NAME IS ROBIN AND I AM THE FOUNDER OF ONTARIO IGUANAS. I HAVE STARTED TO BREED QUALITY GREEN IGUANA MORPHS IN ONTARIO CANADA. I CURRENTLY OWN TWO COMPLETLY RED GREEN IGUANAS, TWO AXANTHIC GREEN IGUANAS AND ONE REGULAR GREEN IGUNA. HOPING TO GET A PAIR OF ALBINOS IN THE NEAR FUTURE

I HOPE YOU ENJOY MY NEW BLOG!!!

Tuesday 29 July 2014

IGUANAS AS PETS

I talk about this topic a lot and I get asked  "does an iguana make a good pet" almost every day. So what's my answer....

Well there isn't really a firm yes or no, there are too many variables to make it that simple. Just like any animal, pet or not they deserve respect for what they are and love.

Iguanas can make amazing pets but they can also be a pet owners worst nightmare. One of the biggest things to learn and learn fast is you need to understand the animal, see things how he or she sees them. Once you've mastered that it will allow you to work with the animal without frustration and understanding.

Like I've said many times iguanas are a prey species, which means their flight or fight instinct is very toned in. When they are babies they will choose the flight instinct just because they are so small but as they age they begin to stand their ground more, this means puffing up, hissing and then into whipping the tail and biting. I'm not saying a baby won't do that, if he's cornered or you have a hold of him or her they will resort to aggression to get away.

I will say that green iguanas are not a good pet for children unless the parents or adults have reptile experience. I see too many its bought for children and then two months later they need to be sold.

Iguanas can make excellent pets when they are taken care of properly but as they age and get bigger their attitudes may change no matter what you do. So the best thing you can do is be fully prepared prior to getting an iguana and doing as much research as you can to make sure you can offer your ig the happiest home you can and UNDERSTAND THEM.


this picture is of Billy and I the day Sebastian and I brought him home :)

Robin.

1 comment:

  1. This one is actually very interesting creature ans for having him as pet is actually interesting I feel. You can go for the Pet Grooming Tips to know about this creature or you can simply go and google it. I find this creature really complex to understand.

    ReplyDelete