ONTARIO IGUANAS

MY NAME IS ROBIN AND I AM THE FOUNDER OF ONTARIO IGUANAS. I HAVE STARTED TO BREED QUALITY GREEN IGUANA MORPHS IN ONTARIO CANADA. I CURRENTLY OWN TWO COMPLETLY RED GREEN IGUANAS, TWO AXANTHIC GREEN IGUANAS AND ONE REGULAR GREEN IGUNA. HOPING TO GET A PAIR OF ALBINOS IN THE NEAR FUTURE

I HOPE YOU ENJOY MY NEW BLOG!!!

Thursday 13 November 2014

PHOENIX'S WEIGHT LOSS... REASONS?

Phoenix has always been a good eater since I got here last year, however the last month and a half she has been eating basically NOTHING and has lost a lot of weight because of it.

She has still been very active and her mood is still the same  but then I made the connection. Before my reptile room was flooded I had Molly, Billy and Phoenix out all together like I normally do, but this time Molly actually charged at Phoenix and Phoenix darted off. The old layout of the room was fine as they couldn't really see each other but after the flood all my iguanas and their enclosures were moved to the unfinished side of the basement. There wasn't a lot of space so the enclosure were packed in tight together. PHOENIX'S enclosure ended up facing Molly's a couple meters away from each other.

It was right around this time that Phoenix began to stop eating. I picked up on this quickly and used a towel to block off most of her windows in her doors. However this didn't work and I didn't have any other place to move her enclosure.

Today I was so excited because I finished Billy's enclosure and got PHOENIX'S enclosure moved back into the reptile room. I put Phoenix in with Billy to explore his new enclosure and spend time together. While they were in there I went to get some of their salad mix to give Billy, and Phoenix took no time before diving in and eating half of the big salad. This is the most food I've seen her eat in a month and a half. This just goes to show how the environment outside the enclosure can work with or against your iguanas behaviours.

Things like mirrors hanging in a room where the iguana can see his or her reflection can cause snoot of stress and anxiety for them. So be aware of your iguanas surroundings and any changes you make.


Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment